Tuesday 30 June 2015

Top Ten Tuesday #5

It is time for another part of the Top Ten Tuesday lists featured by The Broke and The Bookish.
Today's topic is: Top 10 Books I have read so far in 2015. If I have to be honest this year has been boring book-wise so far for me. It was mostly uni books which I enjoyed but did not love. I am looking forward to the rest of the summer so I can read all the books in my list.


Ilina's picks:

The Girl Who Played with Fire (Millennium, #2)We Are All Completely Beside OurselvesLet It Snow
My Name is RedDivergent (Divergent, #1)The Sorrows of Young Werther

1. The Girl Who Played with Fire - Fantastic trilogy, I read the first one awhile ago (one of my first reviews here - The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo) and I absolutely loved it. Just for the record, I can't stand crime fiction and now this is one of my favorite books, so this is saying something.
2. We Are All Completely Besides Ourselves - I wrote a review on this one as well (check it out here). I picked it up randomly in a sale and I enjoyed it but could not say that it is the best.
3. Let it Snow - This was something I was dying to read - so much that I read it in spring, couldn't wait until Christmas. Maybe that was a major mistake, I don't, know but I am not a fan. Even John Green's story was not impressive at all and he usually never fails to entertain me.
4. My Name is Red - I am cheating a little bit with this one because I actually finished it in December last year, but it is so good I just couldn't leave it out. It was a uni book (surprisingly) and it was so gripping and written in an amazing, unconventional way. 
5. Divergent - I already mentioned it in my previous post. Not much more to say - absolutely everybody knows something about it.
6. The Sorrows of Young Werther - Another uni book (Goethe, how sophisticated). This book was an amazing outburst at its time - people were so crazy about this character that they desperately tried to be exactly like him - some people even killed themselves for this cause (spoiled it a little bit for you). A classic example of taking a fandom too far.

Georgie's picks:

Books of Blood : Volume One (Books of Blood #1)The StandThe Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #1-5 + short story)

7. Books of Blood - Classical horror with a new original spin, written in an authentic and hugely entertaining way. It was even hailed by Stephen King as "the future of horror" and that is definitely something.
8. The Stand - The apocalypse/judgement day scenario you might not expect nowadays, but would actually make a lot of sense. One of King's best works and that is coming from a person who has read most of them.
9. The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Too weird and exceptional to not read in a lifetime. So funny that you might end up writing lines down in order to NEVER forget them.

Have you read any of those novels and what did you think of them? 
  

3 comments:

  1. School really does put a damper on fun reading, doesn't it? Glad you've got the summer to read something enjoyable. I haven't read any of your picks, but several of them are on my TBR list.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list of books!! Thanks for sharing your favorite reads of the year so far with us!! I have some new to me titles to check out and potentially add to my ever growing reading wishlist!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-ive-read.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I feel like I didn't enjoy Divergent as much as everyone else because I thought it was just okay.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete