Tuesday 5 August 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #1

 Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish! I found it very interesting and thought that it would be good to spice things up a little. 

Today's list should be about top ten books I would give to readers who have never read the certain author, genre or whatever it is that you chose to write about. I decided to present you the amazingly gifted author Joanne Harris. She has very distinctive writing style and I have read many of her novels. Each of them is unique and have its own world.


1. Chocolat - Hands down, one of her best works. I guess many of you have heard of it and I assure you it is worth the hype. I have an advice, though, if you decide to read it make you sure you are surrounded by chocolate because I promise you, you will be drooling.

2. The Girl with No Shadow - This is the sequel to 'Chocolat'. It as interesing as the first book, even more I dare to say as it has mystery and thriller in it. 

3. Peaches for Fater Francis - As you have probably already guessed this is the third book of the series. This one is rather slow paced and to be honest, not what I expected. However, the ending was not disappointing and I think the trilogy is definately a must read!

4. Gentlemen and Players - For me, this one was mind-blowing. I did not see this plot twist coming! It is the sort of book that makes you turn over to the begining to see what clues you might have missed. 

5. Blackberry Wine - Another astonishing novel. The setting in this one is amazing - a little village in France which Joanne's sweet words make sound magical. She often does that - sends you off to a little village in France and makes you dream of her hot chocolate, truffles and sweet wine. That's why I love her.

6. Jigs & Reels: Stories - This is a collection of short stories. I found them immensly readable. If you are searching for an easy read - this one is for you.

7. Blueeyedboy -  This is one of her dark and twisted novels. It has a little thriller with a lot of crazy stuff happening. And the ending is... wow.

8. Five Quarters of the Orange - I read this book so quickly but it was long ago (probably one of the first books by Joanne Harris I've read) and actually I can't remember much of it. I did love it, though, with all its recipes and drooling description of dishes. That is one of the things I absolutely love about this author - she loves food and it is always a huge part of her books.

9. Runemarks - A complete opposite from what I've been rambling about in this post. It involves magic, goblins, gods and all sort of things. To be honest, I'm not very sure about it. Probably because I thought this was not her genre and she could've done better in my opinion. However, it is a quick read and I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy. 

10. Holy Fools - I admit that I'm cheating a little bit with this last one, because I've not read it yet. I've heard some people rave about it and I've read some good reviews on it so I'll give it a shot. After all, why not, Joanne Harris is definitely not the disappointing type.



3 comments:

  1. Yes, right, that's why I chose her.
    And thanks for the heads up, I rarey read nonfiction, but I really like biographies and history books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Chocolat, the movie -- but I'm sure the book is even better! I honestly didn't know it was book based, but I'll have to check it out.

    Here is our Top Ten books for people who've never read horror.

    ReplyDelete