Monday 1 September 2014

Bridget Jones's Diary






I have extremely mixed thoughts on this book. I gave it three stars, but I'm not entirely sure. I'm not one hundred percent negative about it, though.
First of all, I actually enjoyed reading it - it is a fast read for sure. It is funny and easy to read. But. The characters were so annoying I can't begin to explain it. I don't know who 30 year old (or more) woman would behave so childishly. And I know that you're supposed to relate to her and the situations she encounters and I do. But I'm 19 and somewhere along the book I realised I'm more serious and responsible than her. I know that's the idea of the character - to be silly and funny, but sweet, but she was only irritating to me. 
Another awful character was her mother and their sick relationship. Bridget was constantly compainling about her and not realising she is just the same. I don't know, maybe I take things too seriously - it's just a book after all, but I had to express my annoyance. The male characters were fine actually, espascially that Mark Darcy dude.
The actuall story was nothing impressive too in particular. It's basically a diary about an year in her life in which she tries to lose weight, improve her career and so on but fails greatly. 
You have to agree that the book is not an absolute master piece, but I actually enjoyed it (having in mind that I read it very quickly). It is definitely one of those books which you read without much thinking and which actually manage to pull you off your own world and problems. In my opinion, the idea of the novel is to show that every woman encounters basically the same problems - weight gain, problems with friends and boys, etc. and that, much like in the real world, not everyone handles them calmly - just like Bridged who is a total nutjob.
Also, I'm really looking forward to watching the movie as I heard it is better than the book- not that I believe this is possible. :) Do you have any thoughts on the book or the movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment