Monday 27 July 2015

If I Stay: Book vs. Film #1

4374400



           Are books better than films? Or vice versa? I am sure a true book lover wouldn’t agree with the latter and I am usually like that. But there are always exceptions and I will try to compare and contrast some novels and their adaptations is this rubric. The positive aspects of reading are painfully obvious – everything is let to your own imagination not controlled by the director. Films, on the other hand, bring whole worlds right before our eyes, breathing life into characters, you know how it works. Generally, films (their directors, in particular) tend to overlook some details and leave out some story or characters aspects (after what true book fans like to bitch about). But in the case of If I Stay there was something that surprised me, something that was omitted by the book, and not by the film.
      Firstly, let me say a few words of the novel. It is a quick and quite enjoyable read, I give it that. But that is as far as it goes. The characters are rather flat for such a heart-breaking, deep story. It is a fact. With its only 200-something pages they are not introduced to us in the needed depth. At least that is how I felt. This was supposed to be a sad read and this is coming from the biggest emotional wreck ever (I cry over EVERYTHING) and I did not shed a single tear while reading. Not one. As a said, not enough time (or pages) for me to be emotionally involved. Besides, it was quite cheese, yes, even for me. Simple example: when Mia, the main character, bring the bow of her cello and plays it on Adam’s body like an instrument. I mean, what is that? On the whole, the author fails to make the story interesting – all the plot happens in just one day which is not necessarily a bad thing, but in this case it simply does not work. She goes on and tries to fix it by adding numerous flashbacks of Mia’s life in order to introduce her to us as reader, but then again it seem inappropriate and not in balance with the story as a whole. In spite, it appears as scattered and confusing


             With that being said you are probably wondering, Then why on Earth did you decide to watch the film? Because I saw the trailer and it actually managed to make me cry. I thought that there is slight chance of it being better than the book. Chloe Grace Moretz seemed like an odd choice for Mia and I usually don’t even like her that much but in this case she performed wonderfully. There was great chemistry between her and Jamie Blackley, her co-star who plays Mia’s boyfriend – an element which was missing in the book. The film stayed true to the back and forth structure of the novel which, obviously for me, is better done on the big screen than on the pages of Forman’s work. It was king of awkward though, seeing Mia’s “ghost” hanging around her body and running widely around the hospital. As for the characters, they are brought to life perfectly. As I said, I could not connect with them through the book. But the actors seemed to click with one another and made the story (almost) exciting. I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of Mia’s parents – former rock n’ rollers who toned it down but preserved a sense of coolness in them. Besides that the film is a cliché just as much as the book. I feel myself nodding off as I write this.
       As a conclusion I would admit that this is probably the only case in history when I enjoyed the film adaptation better than the actual book itself. That would probably be the only time. But the film depicts the character so much more likable and it made me comprehend the story to full extend. There are still plenty of people who absolutely love the novel so I won’t forbid you the touch it. It is fine. But that is clearly not enough for me. The film I do recommend if you are wondering what to watch on a quiet night in, but I cannot tell the same to those frantic film lovers out there who cannot stand a little bit of cheesiness. You stay away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment